To maintain a beautiful spray tan results it is important to take a few steps before and after your session to prolong the life of your tan as much as possible. To achieve the best results here are a few simple spray tan before and after tips:
Pre-Spray Tan Tips
- Remove unwanted hair from your body. Waxing or shaving 8 to 24 hours before the tan is important as the skin becomes prepared for the absorption of the tanning solution. The dead skin cells are removed from the upper layer of the skin, allowing the new and fresh skin appear.
- Shower before your session. Avoid using body washes which are extra moisturising and opt for a gel-based body wash or bar soap. Don’t forget to also wash your body with exfoliating gloves or a soft washcloth and scrub your body.
- An essential spray tan before and after step that is often overlooked is remembering to wear loose and dark clothes to your spray tanning session. Clothes often get stained after the tanning session so wear something that can be easily cleaned later. You should also wear loose shoes or flip flops.
- Exfoliation plays a vital role in the tanning process. Exfoliating prior to the session will remove the dead skin and extend the life of your tan.
- If you have an appointment for a manicure or pedicure, keep it before your spray tanning session.
- Spray tanning before and after care also involves not wearing deodorant, lotions or perfumes both before and right after the spray tanning session. Deodorants tend to mix with the tanning solution and create unwanted results. In addition, makeup, perfumes and even jewelry will come in the way of the tanning solution and act as barriers for an even finish.
- Do not apply a moisturiser or body butter before the tanning session. These create streaks in the tan as the solution slides off from the skin instead of being absorbed.
Post-Spray Tan Care
- Do not shower for at least 1 hour after the spray tanning solution has been applied. This waiting period allows maximum tanning solution absorption for the skin. Ask your tanning technician how long to wait for your shower. It changes depending on how dark you want your tan.
- After the waiting period has passed, shower in warm water (it should not be too hot) no soap or bodywash and no washing your hair. Tie your hair up so that it doesnt get wet. The bronzer will run out, and when the water is no longer brown, pat dry yourself with a towel.
- Avoid activities that will make you sweat. This means no exercises, sports, dancing or jogging. You should also avoid the sun to prevent sweating. Sweating creates streaks in the tan.
- Spray tan before and after care involves avoiding chlorinated swimming pools that easily react with the tanning solution and cause an uneven fade.
- Moisturising the skin daily will help make the tan last longer, as well as help it to fade evenly.
- Do not use lotions or creams on your skin which contain Alpha Hydroxyl Acids (AHA’s) or Glycolic Acid as they tend to exfoliate the skin. Use a neutralizing pH body wash.
- Once you have bathed after the tanning session (after 6-8 hours), only then should you use perfumes, deodorants and makeup.
- Do not touch your body while your spray tan is drying off. This can leave finger prints on your body!
NOTE: To keep your tan for longer use our Extender Lotion. It has our spraytan in it and keeps topping up the tan to keep it longer than the 7 to 10 day period. Only $35